Friday, November 9, 2007

Argh - f***ing writers

Well, for the day things are looking up. There's still the weekend - who knows what tomorrow will bring?

I'm mad as hell at the writers guild. Look, I watch a very small amount of network TV, but would prefer the production of that continues undisrupted. But moreover, why aren't the writer's like the UAW? Why don't the strike on a particular network? It would seem to be more effective. Let's take Fox for example - say Fox came to an agreement. The other networks would be fucked. Fox would have new shows - while paying the writers for online material - and no one else would. Come on, everyone would rather watch some new programming than reality TV, right? Okay, that's probably not true. Additionally, I've been favoring NBC lately, so I'd hope they come back first. But anyway - 0.0001% hardly seems worth it for the execs? Can you offer services as a half-arse replacement writer? Not as good, but better than nothing? Is that cool??

Well, I hope it ends soon. TV is great great escape from reality. Without it (like for the pass couple months - FU Sharp) I have to turn to videogames and the internet - hardly as mindnumbing as the tube. So - here's to hoping they give you whatever you want - screw the execs.

Do I get flagged for using profanity? No one will read this anyway.

3 comments:

Calitri said...

Ha! First! Ever!

As your first commenter, I should say something profound here, but you know that's not my style. Me and profound parted ways long ago.

Titty farts!

Good luck. I'll be around.

Calitri said...

Alright, I feel bad just leaving a non-sense, retard comment so I'll put up a real one now that I've actually read your post.

I think the thing you're missing here Dan is that the studios don't bargain on their own with the Writers Guild. Instead, they're represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. And I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure if one studio started negotiating on the side, it would constitute some form of a breach of contract.

Basically, it's the Writers guild vs. All the studios. When one network comes back, they'll all come back.

I am pretty upset that NBC comedy The Office has suspended production. I have no idea what I'm going to do on Thursday nights when they run out of shows.

You should proposition the studios to give you a job writing. Sure, you'll get black-balled by the Writers Guild, but you weren't getting in anyway.

Dk said...

Couldn't figure out how to edit my comment ...

Thanks - but how do you know I'm not a member of the writer's guild already? Okay, I'm not. Otherwise, I'd have given up this perpetual student idea. Secondly, AMPTP is a lousy acronym. Thirdly, this strike is nuts --- people like John Stewart, Jay Leno, Tim Kring, and others have to boycott their own shows --- which is totally weird. Picking against yourself? Do you put up signs in the yard? A bumper sticker?

Maybe you should go write for NBC. I only watch a couple TV shows anyway, why'd they have to go and F*** that up?

Titty farts! ha ha.

Thanks for the note.